The Value of Waste
Are you ready to face a real life problem in an international team of students of different professions? If YES, join
Solution Design Summer School
June 16 - 29, 2019 @ University of Maribor, Slovenia
The target group of this summer school are prospective, curious students of all higher education levels and study fields, including engineering, natural sciences, economy, humanistics, fine arts... the more diversity, the better! Apply here!
Although you are acquiring quality knowledge from your field of study, in most cases you are not prepared to use it in facing complex problems of today. One of the reasons is that complex problems don't fit the patterns you've learned. Another is that complex problems most often require knowledge from various disciplines. Therefore non-linear, systemic, and interdisciplinary approach is required, which represents the basis of the Solution Design methodology.
Solution design is a methodology, which evolved from the many experiences of professors at various universities, and has been carefully structured by the University of Maribor. It is based on the concepts of »learning by doing«, »project based learning«, »problem based learning«, »design thinking« and other similar or relevant approaches.
The problem topic of the summer school is focused on the value of waste, whereby waste includes anything from garbage to thoughts... and beyond! We suggest to take a look at impressions shared by students of previous years.
The main learning outcomes will be the capability of the following principles of Solution Design, taught and experienced on the chosen problem:
- systemic approach and holistic design thinking
- interdisciplinary problem identification, formulation and analysis
- interdisciplinary solution design, which includes technical, ecological, biological, economic, sociological, artistic and other perspectives
- problem and solution modelling, prototyping, testing and presenting, using most effective techniques for a given situation
- extensive teamwork, challenging tutoring and inter-team discussions.